So far I have done many posts on clothes, fashion, and tips but I have never actually explained what I felt when I got my brace, so here it goes.
I was eleven years old when I learned I was going to get my back brace. So far when I went to my back appointments I thought of it as a way to get out of the first half of school, or my first x-rays. One appointment after I had a x-ray my doctor told my mom and I that I needed bracing. I cried, right there in front of all the doctors and nurses. I knew what a brace was but that's the thing. I just knew what it was. I didn't know if it was going to hurt, if I would get made fun of, I thought my whole life was over. My mom and I have a tradition, after any back brace appointment we go to Starbucks before I get back to school. I remember clearly that time we went to Starbucks. I went the bathroom and stared at myself in the mirror, my puffy eyes and tear stained cheeks. I felt like punching the mirror and watching it break into a thousand glittering pieces.
I finished elementary school with the exictement and nervousness of the uncoming hurdle; middle school. I was excited and scared about middle school. After all we all know that rising seventh graders think middle school is where the bullies beat kids up and stuff their heads into toliets and girls gossip behind their friends back. It's not middle so I'm now freaking out it's high school. That's why when I had to go pick up my brace it was a surprise.
I went in late July or early August. I remember the doctor strapping it on me and the first thought I had was that I can't breathe in this death machine. When we were driving to the doctor's I was actually excited. When we were driving back I felt like crying or punching a mirror. We went to our shopping center and when we (my family and I) got out to go to Marshalls my family gave me a little stuffed lamb. It's a puppet and it baas, I still have it on my bed. (fun fact: I am insanely in love with all lambs/sheep of all shapes, sizes, and colors)
I toke it one day at a time. Then one month, then one week. I remember some moments that I thought the brace would ruin my life. I remember a week after I got it I w as crying to my mom and then changing out in gym for the first time and feeling self concious of all the girls staring at my brace.
After awhile things really did get better. I stopped thinking the world was going to end and ended up not really embracing my brace but just living along side it. We all have our crosses to carry. I also learned not to let the brace get in the way of anything you want to do. I also learned that if you ever feel sad about having scholosis or think why do I have to do this, then you need some comfort. I have those days when I just want to scream and so I either go watch a Twilight movie, or write a song on the piano, or write on my book. So, that's really my story. I'm a year and a half through it, I'm hoping that maybe I'll get it off before high school but the chances are slim.
Feel free to leave your story in the comments!

No comments:
Post a Comment