Hi everybody! I have decided to make a post on common questions about scholosis back braces. If you have any questions just leave them in the comments!
Q: Do back braces hurt?
A: It always depends. Whenever you get your brace or get a new brace it will feel very uncomfortable until you get used to it. My current brace (#3) has a pad don the right side right under my armpit. The pad pushes really hard so it makes that spot ache and sometimes when I take my brace off the spot is really red. So it does hurt but you get used to it.
Q: What types of braces are there?
A: The most common type of brace is a boston back brace which is what I have. There is also a brace called a Milwaukee Brace. There is also a new type of brace from Spinecor which is like a bunch of bands instead of plastic.
Boston Brace:
Milwaukee Brace:
Spinecor Brace:
Q: How long do you have to wear your brace?
A: I have to wear it for approx. 23 hours a day. I usually go a little pass the limit :) For special occasions you can take it off longer such as if you are at the beach.
Q: Will kids at school be mean to me?
A: I have never, ever had someone say something mean to me because I have a back brace. I'm shy about it so I don't tell many people except some of my friends. It's impossible to avoid people knowing when you change out in gym. Not only are they not mean about it they don't treat me any differently which I like. I don't want extra sympathey because of my brace. Once some of your friends know and get used to it it's nice. I have a friend who asks how Pika (my brace's name) is doing. She makes me feel so comfortable with it. :)
That's all for now! If you have any questions feel free to leave a comment.



Hello Ellen,
ReplyDeleteI wanted to thank you for being open about your experiences and feelings in regards to your brace. In January we discovered that my daughter, just turned 6, has scoliosis (along with a couple other medical conditions). She's at 29 degrees, and has her fitting for her Boston Brace in two weeks. I found your blog while clicking through trying to find blogs written by people sharing their experiences. While I found your fashion tips helpful, your openness has been greatly useful and very much appreciated. Thank you...
Kind regards,
Dru
Hi Dru, This is Ellen's mom and I just read your lovely comment. I wanted to let you know we will keep you and your daughter in our prayers. We discovered Ellen's scoliosis when she was five, but she didn't have to get her brace until the end of 6th grade.
ReplyDeleteI know how scared Ellen was, but her courage astounds me, mostly because I thought children learned from their parents, not the other way around.
I have no doubt your daughter will become a stronger, more compassionate woman for this experience.
Sincerely,
Sharon Wray
I had done invisible braces for my teeth as i didnt wanted those conventional one which looks completely ugly on your face when you smile. I had been to this clinic in India after reading and going through many reviews about the clinic and m glad that i came here.
ReplyDelete