Hello, girlies!
I'm very excited to tell you about my most recent doctor's appointment. On August 18, the doctors told me that I no longer have to wear my brace. I was expecting this, so I didn't expect it to be so much of a shock. I didn't know what I was expecting.
The surprising thing about being brace-free is that my life is no different. I guess I was expecting something more dramatic than "you don't have to wear your brace anymore". Unexpectedly, the biggest changes in my life are the smaller things.
It's the "not" statements that rewards my success. Not having to peel sweaty tank tops from my skin. Not having uncomfortable itches. Not sleeping like a wrapped up mummy. Maybe, I was expecting more of "can" statements. Like, you can....[fill in blank].
Having realized this, I now see that my brace never really restricted me from doing anything I wanted to. I can climb trees in my brace. I can hang out with my friends in my brace. I can live my life with scoliosis. Not having my brace doesn't change any of that.
I don't know, does this make sense? I always thought that once I got my brace off, I'd be free, but that isn't the case. I realize that I always was free. Sure, I can wear that cute sweater I never got to wear, but that's about the extent of my new "freedom". I always thought my life would go through massive changes after getting off my brace, but it hasn't, because the brace never restricted me from anything I wanted to do.
Now, the journey isn't completely over. My doctors suggested I do physical therapy. I don't do sports (my own choice, I just sort of suck at kicking balls and throwing things), so my back has no muscle. It's not like my back hurts, it's just that it aches. I need to develop muscle to help support myself.
I don't really know much about physical therapy, but I'll write posts about it when I go. I think it will mostly be stretches and exercise balls. I'll probably start when school starts, and I wont' have to go for long. Maybe, 2x a week for 4-6 weeks. Nothing major.
I'm still going to try and post on my blog. I really do love blogging and the community we've formed. If anyone has any questions or concerns, feel free to comment on my blog! I'll always comment back. I also wanted to thank you guys for being so supportive doing this rough time. I don't think I'd have half the positive attitude about scoliosis if it wasn't for all of your amazing blogs and support. Thank you so much, and I really do love you all.
Stay strong and have faith in God! Scoliosis can not and will not beat us!
Stay Beautiful XO
Ellen
Hey! Good thing you're off the brace and you're doing better. Good luck with physical therapy :)
ReplyDelete